What is the Alexander Technique?
“You translate everything, whether physcial, mental or spritual, into muscular tension” F.M. Alexander
Put simply, the Principles of the Alexander Technique help you to ALIGN – your body, your mind and emotions and also to align your Principles and Values with your Actions.
That’s a pretty powerful self development tool!
“We can throw away the habits of a lifetime in a few minutes if we use our brains.” F.M. Alexander
What can Alexander Technique help?
Historically Alexander Technique was known for helping musicians and actors play and perform with greater ease and less physical discomfort. But it is so much more than that!
Research has shown it to be effective in alleviation of long term neck and back pain. (Research Link: Alexander Technique Lessons and Acupuncture Sessions ATLAS Trials) .
Alexander Technique can benefit;
- Back, neck and joint pain
- Breathing, vocal and performance problems
- Posture problems
- Muscle tension/stiffness
- Anxiety and stress related problems
- Improve business and presentation skills
- Improve stability, balance and coordination
Alexander Technique Principles
Alexander was an extraordinary man, but much of his language is now somewhat archaic, dense and hard to follow. So here are the Principles in Plain Man Speak, and I hope you will see how they are applicable to dealing with the stresses of everyday life, as well as in creating PEAK PERFORMANCE:
- Become more AWARE of previously unconscious habits that create problems (mental, emotional and physical)
- Learn to PAUSE between the stimulus and the Response (BREATHE is often a useful first response)
- Use CONSCIOUS, INTENTIONAL thought to direct yourself to how you wish to respond, paying attention to
- PROCESS – step by step, rather than being overly focused on the OUTCOME, which often increases stress and decreases efficiency
- REPEAT (PRACTISE!) until you create new habits, and can go from CONSCIOUS COMPETENCE to UNCONSCIOUS COMPETENCE
How is Alexander Technique Taught?
Because we are dealing with Unconscious Habit, it is useful to have an external objective opinion when setting out. I use gentle manual Guidance, words and photos/videos to help raise accurate self awareness, so that practice on your own becomes more useful and effective.
“You can’t do something you don’t know, if you keep on doing what you do know.” F. M. Alexander
Alexander Technique principles are often taught on a 1 to 1 basis, but group work (especially around particular activities such as music/acting/dancing/sport) also provides a sound basis for learning through observation and feedback.
“You are not here to do exercises or to learn to do something right, but to get able to meet a stimulus that always puts you wrong and to learn to deal with it.”
F. M. Alexander
Qualifications & Experience
- 1989 Qualified at Constructive Teaching Centre London
- Alexander Technique Teacher and Performance Coach at the Department of Music, University of York, 2012 to date
- Trained teachers in Hampstead, London, York and Cumbria
- Taught Alexander Technique within the NHS for several years
- Taught BA and MA Music and Drama students at Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts
- Working with York University teaching patients involved in a Clinical Trial looking at the effectiveness of Alexander Technique and Acupuncture used in conjunction with GP care for Chronic Neck Pain
- Talks and demonstrations given to many groups including GPs, Midwives, Cancer Care, Arthritis Care, Physiotherapists, Psychologists, Singers, Musicians, Actors, Dentists, Chemists, IT Professionals, Academics, Business Professionals.